Program to Promote Regional Maritime Security (MASE)
The overall objective of the programme is to enhance maritime security in the ESA-IO region hence contribute to global security and create a favourable environment for the economic development of the ESA-IO region and beyond.
The Specific objective of the programme is to strengthen the capacity of the ESA-IO region in the implementation of the Regional Strategy and Action Plan against Piracy and for Maritime Security. The Programme has five results to be achieved in four different locations:
- Alternative livelihoods through vocational development initiatives and advocacy against piracy are supported; maritime coordination mechanisms are reinforced in Somalia (IGAD).
- National and regional capacities in legal matters, legislation and infrastructure for the arrest, transfer, detention and trial of pirates are developed and / or strengthened (EAC).
- The regional capacity to break the financial networks of pirates and their sponsors and to decrease structural and sustainable economic impact of piracy are reinforced (COMESA).
- National and regional capacities for sea action are improved (IOC).
- Regional coordination and exchange of information are improved (IOC).
EU Delegation in Djibouti and IGAD are responsable for results n°1.